Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Some Helpful Resources



We will be using the CUBES method for problem solving this year.  On all tasks and assessments I will ask that you use this method to help you problem solve.  I am sure you all already use some form of this strategy.




A major part of Common Core math is the mathematical practices shown above.  I have given each of you a copy of this handout to keep for the entire school year.  You will reference these mathematical practices EACH lesson as they are apart of the standards for each lesson.  All of the MP's are characteristics of mathematicians.  We will focus on each of them throughout the year.

Once we begin Unit 1 (this week) I thought I would begin providing you with some websites that I have found to be helpful to students in the past.  Some of the sites provide video tutorials of concepts (all Common Core) and other provide games and other interactive practice.  Again, the use of these websites is entirely up to you. 



Suggested Websites:
Khan Academy (video tutorials)
LearnZillion (create a free account and then you can search video lessons by standard)
MathIsFun (go to site for definitions and examples)
MathCounts (scroll down on the homepage to where it says PROBLEM OF THE WEEK)
IXL (interactive quizzes and practice)




Each week the MathCounts foundation posts a Problem of the Week on their site.  Some of the problems are very challenging but I think they are all worth a try.  With that being said, if (this is not mandatory) you complete a Problem of the Week and submit your work to me I will keep track and formulate some sort of extra credit based on that work.  I will designate an area in the classroom where you can drop off your work each week.  NOTE: You must include your name, class, the problem, and ALL of your work in order to receive credit!  

No comments:

Post a Comment